Many times and just like when taking out insurance, the person, in this case a company director, contracts a policy in the hope of never having to use it. In the case of cybersecurity it is no different, there are times when we believe that cybersecurity costs a lot, it is not necessary or of course “it will not happen to me” and although the latter may be true, the reality is that the risk that run is very large and potentially expensive.
The problem of cybersecurity is not exclusive to first world countries or technology companies. According to a study carried out by PwC called: “Survey of Economic Crimes 2018” in Mexico, the number of cybercrimes has doubled in just the last two years. This made cybercrime one of the fastest growing crimes in the country even above crimes such as bribery and corruption.
The rapid and hasty digitization of many businesses meant that in many cases the adoption of the technology was not controlled or dimensional in its entirety, initially because of course, cybercrimes did not exist 50 years ago and because its complication and profitability has gone to the rise since the adoption of cell phones. This has caused that many times we maintain potential vulnerabilities in our business without necessarily being aware of it.
How necessary is it to be protected at the cybernetic level in Mexico? We leave you eight hard facts about cybersecurity in Mexico that will surely help you put your opinion into perspective:
- Mexico is the third country that receives the most cyber attacks worldwide.
- At the regional level, Mexico is second only behind the United States.
- Mexico is the number one place for phishing attacks in Latin America.
- 41.5% of cyberattacks in Mexico were detected on company servers.
- More than 50% of the organizations in Mexico were attacked through malware or pishing .
- 95% of Internet users in Mexico are at risk of being hacked due to the use of weak passwords. This includes your employees.
- The IT department spends around 85% of its time investigating potential security problems, although only 15% of the time it turns out to be a real infection.
- Cyberattacks in Mexico cost around 8 billion dollars
At Evox we understand how complicated and abstract cybersecurity can be, that is why we have specialized personnel to solve your problems and doubts about this and many other issues.